World Forestry Congress Side Event
Innovative partnerships to promote legal and sustainable forest-risk commodities
Date: Monday, 2 May 2022
Time: 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM (Seoul time)
Venue: Coex Center, Seoul (Hall E7) and virtual
Registration: All World Forestry Congress participants are welcome to join in person. Virtual participation at the side event is possible by registering here.
The production and global trade of agricultural commodities, such as palm oil, soy, beef, cocoa, and coffee, drives deforestation and forest degradation. To address this challenge, all public and private supply chain actors in producing and consuming countries need to collaborate to shift mainstream commodity markets towards sustainability.
On 2 May 2022, as part of the XV World Forestry Congress, the EU REDD Facility and RECOFTC will co-host a hybrid side-event.
The side-event will show how improved accessibility and transparency of information along complex commodity supply chains can help improve governance, build trust among trade partners, and support accountability. It will explore how to achieve this while ensuring that smallholders, local communities, and indigenous peoples can benefit from international trade.
- Share their experience with innovative tools and approaches to support forest-friendly development and investment in tropical forest countries.
- Discuss how to shape partnerships that support enabling environments for sustainable development.
- Discuss how to increase the impact and inclusiveness of stakeholder collaboration.
- Discuss how to help commodity producers in meeting consumer market requirements and how to gain positive visibility in global commodity markets.
- Discuss progress made at jurisdictional levels.
The side-event will host the following panellists:
- Karina Barrera, Undersecretary of Climate Change, Ministry of Environment, Water and Ecological Transition of Ecuador
- Mathis Freytag, Advisor, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Daniel Kofi Abu, National Project Coordinator, Tropenbos Ghana
- Tran Quynh Chi, Regional Director Asia Landscape, IDH
- Chay Senkhammoungkhoun, Field Coordinator, RECOFTC
The event will be moderated by Satrio A. Wicaksono, Forest and Land-Use Governance Expert, European Forest Institute.
For more information and the latest updates, please visit the side event page in the official programme.